It all started with a handshake

In 1882, two Irish immigrants, who in 1850 had arrived in San Francisco, purchased the more than 210,000 acres of Rancho Santa Margarita Las Flores, one of the greatest of all California ranchos. What we know today as Rancho Mission Viejo.

Our ranch lineage runs deep

In 1907, James Flood and Richard O’Neill became partners of an already great working ranch that later became known as Rancho Mission Viejo.

With Flood providing the money and O’Neill’s skills as a cattleman, the two purchased the rancho that extended from the foot of the Saddleback Mountain all the way to Oceanside for a total of 35 miles. In 1942, the U.S. Navy purchased all ranch lands in San Diego County, including 18 miles of beaches to establish USMC Base Camp Joseph H. Pendleton.

The remaining acres retained under the O’Neill family management and The Rancho Santa Margarita flourished. The family renamed its holdings Rancho Mission Viejo and began branding cattle with the O’Neill Family “Rafter M”, which is still used today.

A Culture of Care

In 1944, upon the death of her husband, Richard, and with the ranch lands held in trust, Marguerite “Daisy” O’Neill stepped forward to lead the family. With determination and pride, she kept the ranch land intact. To this day, Marguerite O’Neill’s admonition to “take care of the land and the land will take care of you” guides the family, and the community.

The freeway comes to Orange County

In the early 1960's, urbanization had reached the borders of The Ranch. In response to Orange County’s quickly growing need for housing, the O’Neill family and its partners created the 10,000-acre planned community of Mission Viejo. Since that time, they’ve continued to create places to live while remaining committed to preserving Rancho Mission Viejo through their dedications of ranch land, such as O'Neill Regional Park, Riley Wilderness Park, Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park, and The Reserve at Rancho Mission Viejo.

Our land is our legacy

In 2005, the O’Neill family secured a science-based land use and open space preservation plan for the remaining 20,868 acres of family ranch. Under this plan, about 25% of The Ranch will be carefully planned over the next few decades into a new community, while the remaining 75% will be forever protected as The Reserve at Rancho Mission Viejo.

Grow With Us

Sign-up to receive Village of Rienda news, request sales information from our Neighborhood Builders and watch Flourish full episodes.

You're all set!
Keep an eye out for your first interest list email.
Mary Kontra
(949) 768-1882

Charlie Ware
(949) 768-1882